Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Hide All

If the crime is "in progress," call 9-1-1. If the crime has already occurred and no immediate emergency exists, call 722-7181 to request a Deputy come to your location and make an Incident Report.

Fingerprint services are handled at our records division which is located at 705 Wheeler Avenue in Huntsville. The sheriff's office does  NOT supply fingerprint cards. The cost per fingerprint card is $10.00. Hours are Monday thru Friday, 9AM to 3:30PM

The person filing an Incident Report (the victim) is the only person who may obtain a copy of the report. Incident Report copies may be obtained at our Records Division, 705 Wheeler Avenue.  Reports may be picked up on Monday thru Friday 8AM to 4PM. There is a $2.00 charge for each copy.

You may report your suspicions to our Vice & Narcotics Unit by calling 256-533-8820. You do not have to give your name when reporting your suspicions.

You may call our Vice & Narcotics at 256-533-8852. An Investigator can provide information on what you should look for if you suspect such activity.

A person may be released on his/her own recognizance, through the Pre-Trial Release Program, through a private bonding company, by the posting of a Property Bond or by posting a 'Cash Bond'.

Persons in jail are not allowed to have money in their possession. Money Orders may be left for an inmate in a “Drop Box” marked Swanson Services that is located outside of the main control room of The Madison County Detention Facility located at 815 Wheeler Avenue. All money orders must have the inmates name, inmate number and the name and return address of the depositor.

Yes. There is a $20.00 fee per Civil Process paper. This fee, payable by either money order or cashier's check only, should be sent with each Civil Process paper along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for "Return of Service".

We prefer that, if you have an alternate place of service (work address, for example), you include this information on the Civil Process paper to be served along with the home address.

You should include on the "Notice of Eviction" the name and telephone number of someone locally who will be able to meet a Deputy where and when an eviction is to take place, or your telephone number so you can be contacted and arrange to meet a Deputy at the site of the eviction. If a defendant moves prior to the date set for the eviction to occur, you should call our Civil Division at 256-532-3421 to advise that a physical eviction from your property will not be required.

No. To recover money owed for rent or damages, you must, as a "civil matter," sue the evicted tenant(s) in either District Court or Circuit Court. Questions about this process may be addressed to either the District Court Clerk or Circuit Court Clerk at the Madison County Courthouse.

Yes. Citizens are fingerprinted at our Criminal Investigations Division, 715-A Wheeler Ave., between the hours of 9 A.M. and 3 P.M. You must provide the fingerprint card(s), and a picture I.D. There is a $10.00 (cash) fee for each fingerprint card made. If possible, please bring the correct amount of the fee. We do not fingerprint persons for teacher certification or for immigration purposes.

Children are fingerprinted in school through a cooperative arrangement with the Huntsville/Madison County Senior Center by senior volunteers. This is done each school year and there is no charge.

We request that you submit a commendation letter to the Sheriff containing the name of the employee and the circumstances surrounding the commendation (to include the date, time and location). Commendation letters should be sent to: Sheriff Blake Dorning, Madison County Sheriff's Office, 100 Northside Square, Huntsville, Alabama, 35801.



Megan's Law is named after seven-year-old Megan Kanka, a New Jersey girl who was raped and killed by a known child molester who had moved across the street from the family without their knowledge. In the wake of the tragedy, the Kanka's sought to have local communities warned about sex offenders in the area. Now, Alabama's Megan's Law arms the public with certain information on the whereabouts of dangerous sex offenders so that local communities may protect themselves and their children. The law also authorizes local law enforcement to notify the public about high-risk and serious sex offenders who reside in, are employed in, or frequent the community. The law is not intended to punish the offender and specifically prohibits using the information to harass or commit any crime against the offender. It recognizes that public safety is best served when registered sex offenders are not concealing their location to avoid harassment.

The Neighborhood Watch Program enlists the active participation of citizens in cooperation with the Madison County Sheriff’s Office to reduce crime within our neighborhoods. Each Neighborhood Watch elects a Block Captain who coordinates information in their neighborhood and acts as a liaison with the Sheriff’s Office. The Neighborhood Watch Program encourages neighbors to get to know each other and to protect themselves from criminal activity. To start a Neighborhood Watch Program in your neighborhood or to obtain more information, please contact the Madison County Sheriff’s Office at (256) 722-7181. The point of contact is Lt. Donny Shaw.

To hire an off-duty Deputy Sheriff, you can call (256)755-4353 Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.


The following requirements must be met:


Each officer is paid $25 per hour with a three-hour minimum.

Your request must be approved by the Sheriff or Chief Deputy.

Once an investigation has been completed and the offender is arrested they are presumed innocent until convicted by a court of competent jurisdiction. All offenders arrested on felony & misdemeanor charges fall under the jurisdiction of the Madison County District Court. Once the offender has been charged it is up to the court to keep the victim, investigators and officers apprised as to the status of a case. This is done through the subpoena process. If a victim, investigator or witness is needed for court appearances they will be notified by the court.

Do you want to make people aware of how fast they are traveling down your street? Call (256) 533-8823 or email DMoody@MadisonCountyAl.Gov to find out the requirements for placing the trailer in your neighborhood. The point of contact for this request is Sgt. David Moody.


There are many laws and regulations in place to help ensure that Madison County roads and highways are safe places to travel. Enforcement of these laws can be stressful for both motorist and deputy sheriffs alike. Find out how to make your experience with a traffic stop as stress free as possible. After stopping, unless directed by the deputy to get out of your car, please wait in your car for the deputy to approach. Please keep your hands on the steering wheel and do not make any sudden movements or reach into your glove compartment. The deputy will ask for your driver’s license and proof of liability insurance. If you have a weapon in the car this is the time to calmly tell the deputy that you have one and where it is. Please do not reach for it! The deputy will explain why you were stopped. This is not the time to contest the stop or a citation if one is later issued. The Madison County Sheriff’s Office uses both marked and unmarked cars for patrol duties. All our marked units are equipped with lights, stripes, and sirens. All of our unmarked units are equipped with lights in the grill / windshield, back window, and tail-lights.


Unfortunately, the reality is that there are occasional cases of police impersonators pulling over motorists. Since Madison County is in a large area, there are a variety of law enforcement agencies either working on our streets and highways, namely the Sheriff’s office and highway patrol, or on their way to another destination. Our unmarked units, which are in a variety of makes and models, are equipped with flashing lights in the front grill, visor, or windshields and have sirens. The unit may or may not have a spotlight. If you are being stopped by what appears to be an unmarked car, acknowledge the officer by turning on your four-way hazard flashers and driving to the nearest well-lit area at a reduced speed. If the officer is not in uniform, lock your door and roll your window down about an inch. Ask the officer to identify him/herself with his or her badge and ID Card. If you do not believe the officer, ask him to call for a marked police vehicle so you can verify that he or she is a Police Officer. Officers are required to call in all vehicle stops to dispatch. You can also call the Madison County Sheriff’s Dispatch on your cell phone by using 9-1-1 or (256) 722-7181 - to verify you have been stopped by an officer.

Being stopped at night, particularly along a dark stretch of road, can heighten the tension for both a motorist and a deputy sheriff alike. Officers do not object to drivers proceeding to the nearest well–lit area. Simply acknowledge the officer by turning on your four–way hazard flashers and driving at a reduced speed to the nearest well-lit place.


If you disagree with the officer or a citation, the time of the stop is not the time to argue or contest either the stop or a charge. Upon request, if the deputy has not done so already, the deputy will identify him or herself to you. If the deputy’s explanation of the stop or citation is not satisfactory, you may contact an on-duty supervisor through police dispatch at (256) 722-7181 or go to the Madison County Sheriff’s Office located at 715 Wheeler Avenue and request to see an on-duty supervisor. If you feel the citation is incorrect, you have the opportunity to contest the charge in Madison County District Court before a judge. You are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and the burden of proof is on the state.

Cases requiring additional follow-up or investigation are assigned to one of the investigators in the Investigations Division. If you wish to speak with the investigator assigned to your case, you can contact the Investigations Division at (256) 533-8821.

The Madison County Sheriff’s Office documents specific incidents which occurred within the county. If you're a resident or business in Madison County, a deputy will respond to your home or business. You can call (256) 722-7181 or you can come by in person to the Madison County Sheriff’s Office, 715 Wheeler Avenue, Huntsville, Al. 35801.

Four to five days before leaving for vacation, fill out a Vacation Check Form at the Madison County Sheriff’s Office Records Division, located at:


715 Wheeler Avenue

Huntsville, Al. 35801


Please Contact (256) 532-3416


This information is forwarded to our patrol staff so that extra patrol of the area can be arranged. Vacation checks can be taken over the phone.

Non-emergency reports can be taken over the phone. To request a deputy for non-emergencies call (256) 722-7181.

The Law Enforcement Chaplaincy Program was formed in 1994 to serve both law enforcement personnel and victims of crime in our community. Chaplains respond to counsel, assist and support victims and witnesses of critical incidents and crisis, including death notifications, suicides, homicides, hostage situations, and other traumatic events. The Chaplains serve the citizens of Madison County with concern and care when crime and trauma affects them.

Jail records are public information and can be checked online by clicking the link below. If they have been arrested by another agency, then you will have to contact the arresting agency. Check Online with the Madison County Jail.


The School Resource Officer Program was developed to address youth issues in the school system and to resolve juvenile problems, before they become serious. 6 deputies are assigned as full-time School Resource Officers. The primary duty and responsibility is the investigation of criminal activity involving juveniles and working with school officials to maintain a safe learning environment for students. Assignments range from dealing with status offenses such as truancy to more serious offenses that may occur in our schools.

The School Resource Officer works closely with school officials to identify and correct behavioral problems in children before they become a serious problem. Many times when a child commits a minor offense it is because there is a larger problem that needs to be addressed. The School Resource Officer reviews all cases involving juveniles and determines the best course of action to take to prevent the action from recurring. The officer works to provide counseling and guidance to juvenile offenders.