Victim Information & Notification
Victim Information & Notification Everyday (VINE) can be accessed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to provide information for custody status changes and criminal case information. You can register via www.vinelink.com or call (877) 846-3425. If you need to be notified when someone is released you must register with VINE, Detention Facility staff does not make notification phone calls.
Attorneys are authorized to enter the Madison County Detention Facility to visit their clients. Attorney visits may be face to face or conducted via video visitation. Any other accommodations may be made with authorization of Jail administration. Attorneys may only visit current clients and with business pertaining to the current incarceration.
Attorneys must show a valid government issued identification card and a valid Bar Card showing their ASB number prior to entering the Jail. Attorneys will not be granted access if their Bar Card is not up-to-date.
There are four methods in which bond can be posted for the release of an inmate from the Madison County Detention Facility:
- CASH BOND:
- City of Huntsville: Misdemeanor bonds can be posted with the City of Huntsville magistrate 24hrs a day, 7 days a week or by calling (256) 427-7817.
- City of Madison: Misdemeanor bonds can be posted with City of Madison Magistrate Monday – Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm, excluding holidays or by calling (256) 772-5617.
- Madison County: Misdemeanor and felony bonds can be posted with the District Court Clerk's Office Monday – Friday 8:00am to 3:30pm, excluding holidays, on the 2nd floor of the Courthouse Room 200 or by calling (256) 532-3373. Bonds can also be paid on-line at www.alapay.com, www.cashbondonline.com or by calling 1-888-726-6301
- PROPERTY BOND: A property bond is based on the tax assessment of real property owned by the person(s) attempting to secure an inmate's release.
- City of Huntsville: Property bonds can be posted with the City of Huntsville magistrate 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.
- City of Madison: Property bonds can be posted with City of Madison magistrate Monday – Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm, excluding holidays.
- Madison County: Property bonds can be made at the Sheriff's Administrative Offices at 100 Northside Square Rm 206 Monday – Friday 8:00am to 3:30pm, excluding holidays.
Property Bond Information
Property Bonds must be done at the Sheriff’s Administrative Offices at 603 Fiber Street Huntsville during regular business hours of 8:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays. Property Bonds are no longer done at the Jail.
All property owners must be Alabama Residents.
Two or more property owners are required on bonds that total over $3500.00.
You will need to obtain the following items as documentation that you have sufficient property amounts and they are free from liens and encumbrances:
- Obtain a copy of your Tax Assessment Sheet for property owners in Madison County. This can be done on the 5th Floor of the Courthouse in the Tax Assessor’s Office. The appraised value of the property minus any liens/encumbrances must be greater than or equal to the amount of the bond.
- A copy of the Deed of the property will be required.
- Obtain a copy of the Property Taxes paid on your property from the 1st Floor Tax Collector’s Office.
- Bring the above documents to our office so we can review them prior to the next step of a title opinion.
- An attorney’s title opinion is required to verify that the property is owned by you and that no liens or encumbrances are in place.
- A Lien Affidavit for the property bond will be executed in our office after the above items have been obtained.
- Documents will then be recorded by the property owner in the Probate Judge’s Office on the 1st Floor so the lien on your property can be recorded (fees apply). Our office will assist you with what documents need to be recorded.
- Once the bond is no longer needed, return to the Probate Judge’s Office with a Lien Release Form from our office so the lien can be removed (fees apply).
- PRE-TRIAL RELEASE: This type of release is approved by the Office of Alternative Sentencing and Release by calling (256) 533-8940 or by submitting a request to:
Office of Alternative Sentencing and Release
Pre-Trial Release Division – Justyn Hayes
715 Wheeler Ave Unit C
Huntsville, AL 35801
- PROFESSIONAL BONDING COMPANY: Release may be made through a private bonding company approved by the Sheriff's Department. Bonding companies have limits ranging from $25,000 to $1,000,000. Any bond over $1,000,000 will have to be approved by Circuit Court during regular business hours. Bonding companies may partner together to combine their bond limits to bond someone with a bond higher than their limit.
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) / General Educational Development (GED)
- Substance Abuse Program (SAP)
- Narcotics Anonymous Meetings
- Alcohol Anonymous Meetings
- Anger Management
- Transition Skills
- Life Light (Juvenile Mentoring/Tutoring Program)
Programs are available based on openings, classification, and disciplinary history. These factors are taken into consideration before placement in any program. Some programs have fees associated. The program’s coordinator will interview an inmate before he or she can be placed in any program.
Jail Ministry / Church Services
Religious services are offered by the Jail Ministry Program. Jail ministry visits are conducted:
- Thursdays, 7:30pm - 9pm
- Saturdays, 1pm - 3pm
- Sundays, 1pm - 3pm
A jail minister may not minister to any specific inmate. If an inmate wishes for their minister, religious leader, clergy, pastor, etc. to conduct ministry and they are not on the jail ministry’s list, that inmate must add that individual to their visitation list as a visitor and the visitation falls under standard Inmate Visitation. Baptisms are offered via jail ministry.
Inmate Mail and Mail Regulations
To send mail to an inmate:
Inmate Name and MNI#(MCSO##MNI######)
Huntsville, Alabama 35804
ALL incoming and outgoing inmate mail is subject to search. All incoming and outgoing mail must be properly addressed. Inmate's name, Madison County Jail MNI number, and address are all REQUIRED on all mail or it will be returned to sender. A valid return address is required on all incoming mail, if no return address is provided the incoming mail will be disposed of properly.
Inmates are allowed to keep the following reading materials in their possession at one time. They will not be allowed to have excess reading materials in their cell.
- 3 - Books
- 3 - Magazines
- 5 days - newspapers
- 1 - Bible or Koran
- 5 days – other news print material allowed by jail.
Reading materials must be received directly from a publisher or bookstore. Books, magazines, or newspapers received from any other source will not be delivered. If an inmate has more reading material than what is allowed, it will be considered contraband and be disposed of properly.
The Following Items are not allowed to be received via the Mail:
- Stickers and/labels are strictly prohibited from all incoming and outgoing mail.
- Excluding the addresses on the front of the envelope, no other writings, doodling, or drawings are allowed on incoming and outgoing mail envelopes.
- Holiday/Greeting/Birthday cards are accepted if the card does not contain any music/vocalizations or contain any device that utilizes any type of power source. Cards can not contain metal (including glitter), plastic, rope, or other hard material. Cards are not to be folded in any way that could hide contraband, or be larger than 9 X 12 inches.
- Any items available on the store, (pens, paper, stamps, etc.) will not be accepted through the mail.
- Pictures must be no larger than 4x6; mounted, framed, or Polaroid pictures are not allowed. No photographs exhibiting lewd, sexual, criminal behavior or gang related behavior or writings. Photographs displaying genitals or exposed breasts are not authorized. No photos of inmates in jail or prison. No photos of large sums of money or any other activity that may appear to be illegal. Photos of children must be fully clothed.
- Reproductions of information protected by copyright law are forbidden.
- Incoming correspondence incorrectly labeled or sent without benefit of a return address.
- Any type of currency, checks, drafts, money orders, phone cards, or any forms of barter are not authorized.
- No social security cards, driver's licenses, birth certificates, or any other forms of identification are authorized and are subject to destruction if mailed to an inmate.
- Books may be sent by a main stream publisher or bookstores only (i.e. Amazon, Books- a- Million, Barnes and Noble).These books must be in new condition. Inmates will be limited to three (3) books in their possession at any given time. All books must be soft back book—no hard cover publications are allowed.
- No personal package of any type will be accepted.
- The ONLY certified, priority, or express mail that will be accepted will be from an attorney or courts.
- Anything that depicts or describes procedures for the construction of weapons, ammunition, bombs, chemical agents, or incendiary devices.
- Any mail that contains materials that threaten physical harm, blackmail, or extortion.
- Any mail "stained" or "perfumed" will be returned to the sender or destroyed.
- Lipstick, lip gloss, crayon, marker, stickers, tape, corrective tape (white out), glitter pens, glue or paint are prohibited.
- Maps and laminated materials are prohibited.
- No bubble wrapped envelopes will be accepted.
- Any materials or publications from or about persons or groups who advocate the restricting of rights of others.
- Any materials considered to be of insightful or inflammatory natures that pose a risk to the safety and/or security of the facility.
The Madison County Detention Facility will exercise every opportunity to allow inmates to attend A funeral viewing of family members. While the need for closure is understood, certain interest of the Madison County Detention Facility may preclude inmates from attending the viewing of deceased relatives.
The following provides an outline of who is eligible and who is restricted from attending viewing services:
- Viewing attendance by inmate will only be for immediate family members—defined as mother, father, siblings, grandparents, and children of the inmate (natural or adopted).
- The viewing must be local, within Madison County, AL.
- The viewing will be without any family members or friends present. Should anyone be present, other than funeral home staff, the visitation will be terminated and the inmate will be returned to the facility.
- Viewing will last no longer than twenty (20) minutes.
- The inmate cannot be charged with a violent crime.
- The bond amount will be taken into consideration by Jail Administration.
- The inmate must not be charged with trafficking or manufacturing of narcotics.
- The inmate’s criminal history and classification will be considered by Jail Administration.
- Jail Administration will review documented disciplinary history making that inmate a potential risk of escape, becoming disruptive, or uncooperative with orders.
- If an inmate does not have history of escape or failure to return a family member must contact the Jail Supervisor at (256) 519-4802 to provide information about an inmate attending funeral viewing services. Jail Administration reserves the right to deny any of the above conditions and/or what is in the best interest of the safety and security of the inmate, staff or facility.
Jail Property / Personal Property
Inmates booked into the Madison County Detention Facility will have all their personal effects inventoried and stored.
We will not accept property of inmates other than pocket contents and the seasonal clothing the inmate is wearing. No extra clothes, baggage, suitcases, sea bags, tents or big storage bags will be accepted. Females may have a standard size purse.
Madison County Detention Facility stores inmate property for only 30 days. Any personal property held longer than 30 days will be disposed of and/or donated to a local charity. It is the inmate’s responsibility to contact a reliable individual to obtain his/her personal property. Family members may pick up property of housed inmates seven (7) days a week, 24 hours a day by coming to the detention facility at 815 Wheeler Ave. Any person attempting to pick up property must have a valid form of photo identification.
Exceptions to disposal are as follows:
- Wallet and contents
- Cellular phone
- Legal Documents
- Purse and contents
These items will be maintained in storage (inmate’s property bag) for housed inmates until release. Relatives of inmates being released from jail may bring clothing to the lobby of the facility for the inmate to change into once the inmate is released. The individual can change clothes in the restrooms located in the lobby area.Civilian clothing for inmates going to court (jury trial only) will be accepted at the jail’s Central Control area Monday thru Friday, from 8:00am – 4:00pm. A contact person’s name and telephone number must accompany the property and once the inmate’s court case has ended, the clothing must be picked up within 10 business days from the Central Control area. Failure to pick up clothes within 10 business days will result in clothes being donated to a local charity.
State sentenced inmates who have been ordered to the Department of Corrections may take ONLY the following to Kilby Correctional:
- Any legal mail
- White commissary shoes
- 10 pictures
- 5 stamps
- 5 envelopes
All other materials and personal effects will be placed in storage. Inmates will wear jail shower shoes during transport. All personal effects left will be picked up by family members within 14 days from departure. Items left past the 14 day deadline will be donated to local charities. State inmates returning for court will be allowed to keep their under garments, socks and hygiene items ONLY. All other items will be placed in property.
If you have any questions, please call 256-519-4800
Funds can be applied by: the kiosk in the Lobby which accepts cash, debit, & credit cards or online at www.jailatm.com. Money Orders are not accepted!
Commissary orders are processed on Tuesday at 5 am, orders are delivered on Wednesdays. Snack Pack orders are processed on Monday and Friday at 7am, orders are delivered the same day. Funds must be placed on the inmate’s account by 5 pm on Monday in order to place a Wednesday Commissary order.
Once an inmate is released they must report to the Kimble’s Commissary Office, room 120, at the Main Facility to collect any remaining funds in their commissary account. Refunds are issued Monday through Friday 4:00p to 6:00p, no refunds are issued on holidays. Identification is required.
Any order placed before an inmate’s release will be held for five (5) business days. The purchased items can be picked up Monday through Friday 4:00p to 6:00p, except holidays. If the order is not picked up it becomes property of the MCDF, purchased items cannot be transferred to another inmate. NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN.
Kimble’s offers friends and family the opportunity to order items for their incarcerated loved ones through www.jailatm.com and delivered at the next regular commissary delivery. Inmates are only permitted to receive two (2) gift packs per week. Seasonal items and gift packs are also available for special occasions.
Secure Electronic Messaging
Secure electronic messaging is accessible via dorm kiosks and allows for communication between inmates and their loved ones. Messages can be purchased for $0.50 each by inmates from the kiosk or their family/friends by visiting www.jailatm.com. Inmate purchased messages will be deducted from their commissary account. Messages are purchased one at a time. Family/friends must create an account on www.jailatm.com and purchase blocks of messages for $5.00. Once that $5.00 block has been used they can choose to have their credit card automatically charged for additional $5.00 blocks or purchase as desired.
All messages are subject to review by facility staff. If an inmate abuses the messaging system they can be restricted from using it at the discretion of facility staff. Family/friends may also be blocked from using the system at the discretion of the facility. NO REFUNDS will be given for any reason. Make sure when sending a message the correct recipient email address has been entered. Once the message is sent $0.50 is automatically deducted from an inmate’s commissary account whether or not the message is read, it is sent to the wrong email address, etc. Once family/friends purchase a $5.00 block it will remain on that inmate’s family/friend account even if they are released without using the full $5.00.
Request for the Release of Funds
The Madison County Detention Facility understands that on occasion those persons committed to the facility may have a need to release funds being held in their name in a commissary fund. As such, inmates being held in the Madison County Detention Facility may submit this form to facilitate the release of held funds. This action is authorized one time and within the first 60 days of detention. Funds will be released at the Kimble’s Commissary office between the hours of 4:00 and 6:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays.
The form can be found HERE.
Summit is the food service provider. They were approved through the Madison County Commission.
The Madison County Detention Facility, its staff and contractors Southern Health Partners will not discuss an inmate’s healthcare with any family or friends due to HIPPA laws. Southern Health Partners were approved through the Madison County Commission.
Medications, eyeglasses, contacts and other approved medical items can be dropped off or picked up from the Facility Monday – Sunday 6:00am – 6:00pm. All items must be approved by Medical personnel and/or Jail Administration; all objects are subject to search.
Plea by Information:
Inmates who wish to plead guilty or "plea by information" must contact their attorney of record. If an inmate has not yet been appointed an attorney, the inmate must wait until an attorney is appointed.
Change of Plea:
All change of pleas must be handwritten and addressed to the specific court for your case.
72 Hour Hearing:
When booked into the Madison County Detention Facility the arresting agency may be required to obtain felony warrants through the Madison County Magistrate Office. This process may take up to 48 hours. Once the warrant has been obtained, the inmate will be afforded a 72hr hearing in which they will be notified of their charges and bond. Only cases in district court will be afforded this type of hearing.
City Inmates: Huntsville/ Madison City Inmates:
If arrested and charged through the City of Huntsville, you must contact the City Magistrate located in the front lobby of the jail or call (256) 427-7817 to obtain bonding information. Once booked into the jail the inmate will go to City court the next business day, if he/she does not bond out. If you bond, the magistrate will inform you of your appearance date.
City of Madison inmates must contact the City of Madison Municipal court at (256) 772-5617 Monday - Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. Madison City court is on Tuesdays at the jail or Thursdays at the Madison City Municipal building, depending on charges.
Inmates sentenced by the Municipal Court have fourteen (14) days to file an appeal. This appeal must be in a handwritten form and mailed to the Municipal Court.
The Madison County Detention Facility does not determine release dates or provide this information to the public.
*****Beginning November 4, 2019 NCIC Inmate Communications will be the Facility's inmate telephone provider.
Calling Rates (Per-Minute)
|Call Type||Inmate Pre-Paid||Pre-Paid Collect|
To create and fund Pre-Paid Collect accounts, please visit NCIC Inmate Communication's website at: https://account.ncic.com (Para Espanol, https://cuenta.ncic.com ) or call our call center at 1-800-943-2189.********
All phone calls from the Madison County Detention Facility, regardless of location, will be collect, pre-paid or credit card calls. Phone calls from the booking area are free. All calls are subject to monitoring and/or recording. Inmates will be provided PIN numbers in order to make phone calls. Phone services are provided through GTL (Global-Tel Link) and if there is a phone issue, you must contact GTL at (800) 483-8314. The Madison County Detention Facility reserves the right to block phone numbers due to misuse of the phone system (i.e. three-way calling), discussion of criminal activity, or based upon the security and safety of the facility. Any attempt to provide three way connections will result in permanent deactivation of the called number attempting to facilitate the three way connection and disciplinary action on the inmate involved.
There are three easy ways to use Offender Connect to create accounts and make deposits:
- Online at www.offenderconnect.com
- AdvancePay prepaid telephone account deposit (800) 483-8314
- Deposit cash ($5, $10, $20, $50, $100 bills) into the kiosk located in the Municipal building lobby.
If you receive an unwanted phone call from an inmate you can refuse the call or block all calls from the facility from the prompts played during the recording or for assistance blocking your phone number you can speak with a GTL agent at 877-650-4249 Options 1-0-0.
*****There will be no visitation November 4 through November 22, 2019. The Facility will be upgrading the video visitation system during this period, we apologize for any inconvenience. Regular visitation will resume on November 25, 2019.
Inmates must be incarcerated 30 days before visitation is allowed. Madison County Detention Facility’s week begins on Monday and ends on Sunday. Visitation appointments can be made by calling (256) 519-4864 Monday - Friday from 8:00am – 11:00am and from 12:00pm – 3:00pm the week prior to the actual visit. Visitation appointments are on a first come, first serve basis. Inmates are allowed up to three different visitors per visitation day. Once a visitor is on the list and given a visitation time, no changes will be made. Substitutions on visitation day will not be permitted for any reason. Visitors must arrive 10-15 minutes prior to scheduled visitation time.
Main Facility Visitation:
Housing 1 and 2: Units A – K
These units receive visitation on Wednesday 0800 to 1430 hrs.
L-Floor Mondays 8:00am – 2:30pm
M-Floor Tuesdays 8:00am – 2:30pm
N-Floor Thursdays 8:00am – 2:30pm
P-Floor Mondays 8:00am –2:30pm
FRIDAYS NO VISITS ARE SCHEDULED
VISITS ARE SCHEDULED BETWEEN 8-10:30 FOR THE MORNING AND BETWEEN 12-2:30 FOR THE AFTERNOON MONDAY -THURSDAY.
THE MAIL ROOM TAKES PHONE CALLS TO SET UP VISITATION APPOINTMENTS BETWEEN 8-11 AND BETWEEN 12-3.
Visitation schedule adjustment may be made to accommodate holiday scheduling or for the safety and security of the facility. In the event of inclement weather, inmate visitation will be cancelled with little or no notice. It will be the responsibility of the inmate to notify his/her visitor of any changes.
Each inmate must have an approved "INMATE VISITATION" card listing the expected visitors. Names not appearing on the inmate visitation card will not be allowed to schedule a visit. Inmates must list the full name, complete address, phone number, and relationship of each visitor. Prospective visitors should not be on probation, parole, or have been in our facility within the past year, unless incarceration was due to traffic violations or if the charges were dismissed (documentation will be required). Failure to fill out the visitation card correctly will result in the inmate not receiving visitors. A maximum of eight (8) names are allowed on an inmate's visitation card. NO substitutions will be allowed. Once an individual has been removed from a visitation card, they are not eligible to be placed back on the card for a period of one (1) year.
Valid state or government issued identification is required to enter the visitation area in order to have a visit. Persons under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol will not be permitted. Visitors who miss three (3) scheduled inmate visitation appointments may be suspended from visitation privileges for up to thirty (30) days. Inmates are responsible for informing their visitors of visitation regulations. The Madison County Detention Facility reserves the right to restrict any person from entering the jail.
Visitors who act in an inappropriate manner may be permanently suspended from all visitations. No person under the age of 18 years old may visit without being accompanied by a legal guardian. No visitor under the age of 12 years will be permitted to visit at any time. The Madison County Detention Facility reserves the right to terminate, suspend, or cancel visitation for the safety and security of the facility at any time without notice.
The Madison County jail does not determine release dates or provide this information to the public.
Madison County Detention Facility Addresses
815 Wheeler Ave
Huntsville, AL 35801
PO Box 2047
Huntsville, AL 35804
Madison County Detention Facility Phone Numbers
Main Line (256) 519-4800
Administration (256) 519-4839
Administration Fax (256) 519-4840
Comments, Complaints and Questions